The Local Energy Solutions Workgroup maintains an extensive database of resources across a variety of topics made available for local energy champions to utilize. Explore the resources below or jump to our "Frequently Asked Questions" section.


How do I start/form a local energy committee/commission?

Congratulations on your intent to establish a local energy committee/commission! We recommend this overview of local energy committees as a starting point, which includes information on the enabling legislation, how to create a commission, how many members may serve, and much more.


We also recommend seeking advice from the Department of Revenue Services and the Local Government Center before proceeding with forming an energy commission. In addition, you are welcome to contact the Local Energy Solutions Program Coordinator for personalized assistance.


What cities and towns in New Hampshire have an energy committee/commission?

What resources exist for creating Energy Chapters for town Master Plans?

What funding/financing opportunities are available for renewable energy/energy efficiency projects?

Does my city/town have a renewable energy property tax exemption?

The NH Office of Strategic Initiatives maintains a map and list of all communities across New Hampshire that have adopted a full or partial renewable energy property tax exemption.

My community wants to adopt a 100% renewable energy goal. Where do we start?

What is the energy strategy for the state of New Hampshire?

The State of New Hampshire's official energy strategy can be found here. The Office of Strategic Initiatives maintains and updates the energy strategy according to RSA 4-E:1.

What is the Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS)?

New Hampshire's RPS statute, RSA 362-F, requires each electricity provider to meet customer load by purchasing or acquiring certificates representing generation from renewable energy based on total megawatt-hours supplied. New Hampshire’s RPS statute divides renewable energy sources into four separate classes. The RPS is managed by the Public Utilities Commission. Learn more here.

What is the status of the Volkswagen Settlement for electric vehicle (EV) supply equipment?

All updates on the Volkswagen Settlement, managed by the Office of Strategic Initiatives, can be found here. As of April, 2020, there was one RFP in progress for a level-2 EV charging station in Concord, NH.

What is the Public Utilities Commission and what does it do?

The NHPUC is vested with general jurisdiction over electric, natural gas, water and sewer utilities as defined in RSA 362:2 for issues such as rates, quality of service, finance, accounting, and safety and with limited jurisdiction over telecommunications as defined in 362:7, 362:8, 363:22 and 365:1. It is the NHPUC’s mission to ensure that customers of regulated utilities receive safe, adequate and reliable service at just and reasonable rates. For more information about the PUC's Sustainable Energy Division, visit here.

How does net metering/group net metering work?

Please view this comprehensive guide to understand more about net metering.